Saturday, January 12, 2008

Sassy Churn Dash Quilt Block


Glad so many of you are liking the square quilt cards. They are so fun and easy to do. My aunt which is also my godmother gave me my first quilt when I was like 10 or 12 years old. I still have it but it is really getting ragged. I have quit using it and put it in a safe place to keep. So she is my inspiration on making these cards also. I have a few of her patterns and will someday dig out my sewing machine and make another quilt.

This block is called the Churn Dash, but has many other names too. This is one of the first quilts I made. Which at that time I cut all the pieces by hand. I didn't know about the short cuts and all the goodies you can use for quilting. But, have since got those goodies for my quilting and now do it the easy way.

Ok so to make this one you will need the following:

Whisper White, Real Red card stock

Sassy Designer Paper which is now retired.

1 3/8 Punch

Snail adhesive


WW card stock cut at 5 x 10" fold in half to get a 5x5 card.

Cut your RR at 4 3/4 x 4 3/4 for your background (border)

Punch out 3 RR squares with the 1 3/8 punch and 6 of the Sassy Designer Paper.

With 2 of the RR cut in half at an angle.

With 2 of the Sassy Designer Paper cut them in half at an angle.

Now the easiest way to do this is to lay out your pattern like in the sample card. Then you will glue and move the pieces one by one onto the RR background (border).

Start at 1/8 in and 1/8 down from the corner with your sassy designer paper, then do the RR, and go across.

2nd row do the same only it is all 1 3/8 squares.

3rd row do that same as the first.

Layer the RR on the WW and your done.

Now wasn't that an easy card to make?

Tomorrow I will have another one for you to make. It is called the Split Nine Patch. So have your punches and card stock ready.

Hope you enjoyed today's project and are joining me in making these. I would really love to see how yours looks. These cards would make a really nice gift for the quilter in your life to use.

Until tomorrow happy stamping or for this one piecing.

Angel Hugs

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting the quilt block cards. I have an aunt who was a quilter. She also loves my handmade cards. These will be perfect as a gift for her. My mom was also an avid quilter. I am a quilter wannabe. I have the utmost respect for the gift that quilters have for marrying the right fabric to the right pattern.